So you’ve found a stray animal. What are your next steps? Why, help it get back home, of course! Recent data suggests that many lost pets are found within just a few blocks from their homes. While the Williamson County Regional Animal Shelter is dedicated to reuniting lost pets with their families, we encourage you to use the following resources to help that animal in need get back home without ever coming to visit us. Trust us, happy family reunions are truly special moments that you’ll remember forever!
Scan the found animal for a microchip.
Animals can be scanned for a microchip at:
- Williamson County Regional Animal Shelter (call 512-203-2822 for curbside service
- Veterinarian clinics
- Tomlinson’s Feed Pet Stores
Enter the microchip number into http://www.petmicrochiplookup.org/ and call the company that populates from the search. They may have the owner’s information!
Make an Effective Flyer for your area and local vets
- Make your own flyer using the 5+5+55 Rule
- At any typical intersection, you only have 5 seconds and 5 words to get your message across to drivers who are passing through the area where the animal was found.
- Make the flyer GIANT so that people driving by cannot miss them.
- Make the flyers FLUORESCENT so that the color attracts the attention of everyone.
- Put them in your yard and the major intersections near where you found the animal.
- Keep them BRIEF and to the point.
- Let them convey a VISUAL IMAGE of who you found.
Visit PawBoost.com to search their database
Register your found animal on FindingRover.com
Report your found animal on these sites:
Williamson County Texas Lost and Found Pets https://www.facebook.com/groups/605816772852108/
Round Rock Lost and Found Pets https://www.facebook.com/groups/365720663606329/
Leander Lost and Found Pets https://www.facebook.com/groups/2379278852290930/
Cedar Park Lost and Found Pets https://www.facebook.com/groups/cedarparklostandfoundpets/
Lost and Found Pets of Hutto: https://www.facebook.com/groups/lostpetsofhuttotx/
Pflugerville Lost Pets: https://www.facebook.com/PflugervillesLostPets
Liberty Hill Lost Pets https://www.facebook.com/groups/540740079427177/
Dogs of Jarrell https://www.facebook.com/groups/1647946805488761/
Lost and Found Pets in Austin: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Lost-and-Found-Pets-in-Austin-TX/1442262572701212
Found pets and the Williamson County Regional Animal Shelter
Contact us at [email protected]
Send us the details of the animal type, color, marking, gender, and where s/he was found. Please include a photo. If you need assistance with supplies, please let us know.
Please do not rehome the pet.
Thank you for all your help reuniting families!